Guest Post by: Cassie Brewer
In your quest for a leaner, healthier body, certain foods keep you looking fit and fab. Here are 20 great choices to add to your diet (in no particular order)!
- Blueberries – Since they’re loaded with important nutrients such as Vitamin C and fibre, these gems keep you healthy, while helping you lose weight because they’re low in calories.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is gluten-free, so it’s a healthy way to get nutrients if you’re gluten-intolerant. Quinoa is also a great source of protein that keeps you satisfied for longer, meaning you won’t be reaching for unhealthy snacks during the day!
- Salmon – Eating salmon regularly can boost your weight loss because it contains monounsaturated fats, good fats the body needs to burn more calories.
- Steel-cut Oats – Choose steel-cut oats instead of rolled ones as it preserves more nutrients when processed. Oats helps to maintain your blood sugar levels and since it’s packed with fibre, it keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
- Greek Yogurt – Fat around your midsection produces cortisol, a hormone that signals your body to accumulate more belly fat. You can beat it by eating more Greek yogurt, as it contains calcium to alert fat cells to give off less cortisol, assisting weight loss. Sneaky; we like it!
- Coconut Oil – A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that ingesting medium chain triglycerides (found in coconut oil) can decrease one’s body fat and lead to more weight loss than olive oil.
- Kale – This leafy green is a great source of various nutrients, and it has a 3:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio. This is a very high amount of protein for a vegetable, especially great if you’re vegan!
- Cocoa – Everyone deserves a bit of a cheat day every now and then! Eating a bit of cocoa can help you release endorphins, or ‘feel good’ chemicals – that means a mood boost when you don’t feel like hitting the gym. It also lowers blood pressure in the short-term, which could help cardiovascular disease.
- Eggs – Eating eggs for breakfast can do your energy levels a world of good. According to a study published in the International Journal of Obesity, people who start their day with eggs are 65 per cent more likely to lose weight and feel more energetic than those who reach for a bagel.
- Sweet Potato – They’re packed with antioxidants known as beta-carotene which help you recover quicker after a session at the gym. Say good riddance to stiff muscles!
- Olive Oil – Drizzle olive oil over your salads. It helps to keep your bones in great shape and keeps you feeling full thanks to its compounds that slow down the release of glucose into the bloodstream.
- Avocados – Avocados are great for your skin and hair health, but they also ease hunger due to their oleic acid content.
- Chia Seeds – Chew chia seeds or sprinkle them over your cereal to reap their amazing benefits: one tablespoon contains more antioxidants than blueberries. They also help to ward off hunger.
- Cauliflower – Detoxing the body is important to flush out toxins, so eat more cauliflower. This veggie contains a chemical known as indole-3-carbinol, which regulates the body’s detoxification enzymes and wards off illnesses such as cancer.
- Tea – Green tea is especially good to consume to keep you lean. It contains an antioxidant called catechins that boosts your metabolism, helping you lose weight.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Pumpkin seeds keep your heart healthy, while ensuring normal nerve and muscle function, thanks to their magnesium.
- Flaxseed – Flaxseed is a great source of fibre, but it also contains omega-3 fatty acids that are known to provide weight-loss results when combined with exercise.
- Acai Juice – Although acai berries might not have much going for them when it comes to aiding weight loss, they can definitely provide you with nutrients you need to stay healthy because they’re rich in antioxidants, keeping illness at bay so you can look and feel your best.
- Walnuts – These nuts lower your cholesterol levels while providing you with protein and fibre to keep you feeling satisfied. A small amount a day is enough to reap their benefits.
- Spinach – You don’t want infections to keep you down when you’re on the move, so eat more spinach! This green veggie helps to strengthen the immune system, thanks to its Vitamin C content.
Now you have 20 new ways to help you get that body you’ve always wanted. You can check out the infographic below for more useful information. Eat up!