I’ve been seeing “mug cake” recipes on pinterest for quite some time now. I finally decided it was time to give it a try after seeing an ‘IGer’ (@tastyhealth) post a ton of great mug cake recipes on her Instagram! Speaking of Instagram, I finally have one!!! My username is @muffintopless =)
I promise you, this recipe it is to die for. And as usual… it’s chocolate & peanut butter (my favorite!). But the GREAT thing about THIS recipe, is that if chocolate & PB isn’t your cup of tea, you can use any flavored protein powder you want and top with things other than peanut butter! Use your imagination and get creative!
RICH CHOCOLATE PROTEIN MUG BROWNIE
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Casein Protein Powder (*see below for substitution instructions)
- 1 Egg White
- 1 TB Coconut Flour
- 1 TB Baking Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Water or Milk of Choice (I recommend SugarFree Vanilla Coconut Milk)
- TB Natural PB or PB2
- A few dark chocolate chips
- *Other toppings could include nuts, sliced fruit, almond butter, shredded coconut (the list goes on!)
DIRECTIONS: Mix all brownie ingredients in a bowl until it’s thick and well-stirred. Spray a mug with nonstick spray. Add brownie mixture to mug, then cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 30sec to a minute (I went with 45 seconds). Plop onto a plate and add toppings. Enjoy!
* If you use any other protein powder besides casein, it will give a different consistency which I cannot vouch for. Casein is very thick and makes this mug cake dense and rich.