A lot of women believe the myth that protein powder will make them “bulky” or gain weight. This could not be further from the truth.
- First of all, protein helps support and build lean muscle which is what creates “tone” in the first place (not bulk!). Lean muscle determines your metabolism, so the more you have, the more calories you burn just by being alive!
- Second, the only way to “bulk up” is to eat more than your body needs to maintain itself. It doesn’t matter whether that overload of calories comes from fruit, meat, soda, cookies or protein powder… too many calories = weight gain. Most whey protein powders have about 110 calories per serving… the same as a medium banana… however many women who believe this myth would choose the fruit thinking they are going to avoid gaining weight… but the calories are the same!
Whey Protein can actually help you LOSE weight. Here are a few of those ways:
- Thermic Effect – It takes more calories for your body to digest protein than it does other types of food. Increasing your protein intake will help you use more calories and increase your weight loss. In other words, a serving of whey protein powder daily can help you burn more calories.
- Muscle Mass – When you are losing weight, you want to lose fat, not muscle. Many people get “weight loss” and “fat loss” confused. Muscle tissue is important because it keeps your body lean, healthy and strong and burns more calories than other types of tissues in your body. To keep from losing your muscle mass while dieting, you need to keep protein levels relatively high. Whey protein powder is an easy, low-calorie way to get the protein your body needs.
- Blood Sugar – By eating more protein, your blood sugar levels will be more stable, and likely be lower.When you eat protein, glucose is absorbed more slowly into your bloodstream. When blood sugar levels are stable, your body produces less insulin, stores less new fat and burns more fat from your existing body stores. Use whey protein powder as a snack during the day to help keep your blood sugar levels stable.
- Satiety – Protein takes longer to digest than other macros which helps you feel full longer. Feeling fuller will make it easier to eat less, while sticking to your nutrition plan.
- Immune Support – Whey protein promotes the formation of antioxidants that help support your immune system. When you exercise hard or are stressed, supporting your immune system is important. Use whey protein powder to help you maintain your health and improve your weight.
Whey protein is derived from milk and is sold in powder form. Look for a brand with concentrated protein in each serving and fewer carbohydrates and calories. A good place to shop for protein powders is the website Bodybuilding.com!