Ever heard the saying “abs are made in the kitchen”? Well nothing could be closer to the truth. In order to shed the stubborn belly fat that hides all the hard work we put in at the gym, a clean diet is a MUST. Besides that, the obviously more important aspect of eating well is maintaining a healthy, well-functioning body. Eating wholesome, natural foods is one of the best ways to do that!
TIPS FOR GROCERY SHOPPING:
- Do not go hungry! Eat beforehand!
- If you’re on a budget, stick to the minimum requirements and look for coupons and deals at local stores.
- Just because something is labeled “low-fat” “a good source of…” or “healthy” DOES NOT mean it is healthy!
OTHER CRUCIAL TIPS:
- Get rid of the junk food!
- The following foods generally shouldn’t be eaten, except for a once-a-week cheat meal: soda, diet soda, fruit juice, sports drinks, cookies, chips, crackers, candy, ice cream, pudding, jell-o, flavored yogurt, deli meats, processed meats, white breads and pastas, sugary cereals, packaged processed crap, granola bars. They are all full of sugar and processed, chemical junk! Sugar spikes insulin and promotes fat storage. The OPPOSITE of what you want if your goal is a lean, healthy body.
- With that said, your once a week cheat meal should be a REASONABLE portion of whatever you want. But like I said, keep it reasonable! Also, try to make it on a day where you are very active if possible.
- Cut down on the alcohol. It shuts down your metabolism, promotes fat storage and breaks down muscle tissue (awesome right?) If you can’t go a few weeks without a drink, there are bigger issues to solve than weight!
GROCERY LIST (asterisks denote my highly recommended foods):
Protein powder (Vegan options available)*
Boneless/skinless chicken breast*
Lean ground turkey
Canned Tuna (in water)* (they come in packets as well, good for on-the-go)
Tofu (Vegan friendly)
Plain Nonfat Cottage Cheese
Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
Nonfat cheese sticks (for the girls who need quick, on-the-go snacks)
(Don’t be afraid to experiment! There are so many others out there besides just these)
Old-fashioned Oatmeal (Gluten-free options available)
Low-carb/Low-sugar cereal (Fiber One for example) (Gluten-free options available)
Quinoa (Gluten-free options available)
Whole Wheat Bread (Gluten-free options available, I personally use Ezekiel bread)
Healthy Fat Options (pick at least 2):
Natural peanut butter or almond butter (only ingredient should read peanuts or almonds, there should be oil on top, low/no sodium).
Lemons (for water & fish)
Water* – MUST HAVE (obviously)
Unsweetened Almond Milk (can be flavored, I like vanilla)*
Unsweetened Coconut Milk
Green tea bags*
Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
Pam Non-stick cooking spray*
Places to buy Protein Powder Online:
“PIN” this to share with friends!
More Articles to Help You On Your Health & Fitness Journey!
Clean Eating 101
Not Seeing Results? Your Diet Could Be the Culprit!
How to Eat Clean on a Budget
5 Diet Rules You SHOULD Break
How to Eat Healthy at College
7 Things That Can Wreck Fat Loss
How to Deal with Cravings
7 Step Meal Prep to Save Time
5 Tips for Succeeding at Your Healthy Goals!
How to Eat Healthy at Restaurants
How to Stay Healthy on Vacation!