I absolutely ADORE sushi.
If all of the world’s food supply was going to be decimated, but I could choose to preserve one of them… it would have to be those cute little rolls! There are so many variations and methods of preparation… it’s hard for me to get tired of it! However just as with any good thing, too much or choosing the wrong type can have negative effects. While sushi could be considered a healthy option compared to most other popular “night out” choices (think pizza, nachos and hot dogs… ick!), there are still ways to make it an even healthier night out!
Here are a few ways to make your sushi meal to the next level of healthy!
- Skip the white rice – opt for brown. It’s a complex carb that won’t spike insulin the way white rice does. (Keeping insulin levels steady is key in fat loss).
- Go sauceless – the sauces they tend to put on rolls are full of sugar, sodium and empty calories.. avoid!
- Go naked! – instead of a roll, try JUST the raw fish (sashimi).. it’s so good for you! Especially fish rich in omega-3’s like salmon!
- Cucumbers – some places can wrap an all seafood roll in cucumber, which sounds strange but tastes amazing!
- Just say no to tempura – avoid fried rolls and anything with “crunchy” in the name.. choose the fresh options instead.
- Water or tea please – don’t drink soda, lemonade, or juice.. it’s full of sugar and unnecessary calories!
- NO SAKE BOMBS – alcohol slows your metabolism, breaks down muscle tissue, and promotes abdominal fat storage (lovely eh?).
I love sushi and have it at least once a week. There’s no reason to avoid going out to restaurants entirely in your fitness and health related goals.. so long as you make healthy swaps, you’ll be fine with the occasional treat! =)